Happy belated Earth Day everyone! Yesterday, our planet celebrated the 50th Earth Day and I hope you all spent it doing something beneficial to our planet.
Every year Earth Day takes place on the 22nd April and has a different them annually. This year's theme was climate action. What can you do to take climate action? Below are seven tasks that you can achieve over the course of this Earth week to take climate action. You should be able to complete one task each day and once you have achieved all of them you can contact me to receive an Earth week challenge certificate!
The seven tasks are:
1. Today try to spend one hour without any electricity running. You have probably all heard of Earth hour, well, think of this as a bonus Earth hour.
2. This task is quite tricky, but if you really put your mind to it it's achievable. Eat vegetarian or vegan today. Many of you may already follow these diets and that is great. However, if you don't just spend one day giving it a go. What harm can it do? Nothing, all it can do is protect our environment.
3. Start a climate conversation. Whether this is with your family or over text with your friend, talk to someone about our environment and spread the word.
4. Today, try and plant something. This will give you a great sense of happiness but it will also help absorb CO2 from the atmosphere. Look after your plant by watering it every day and maybe even talking to it.
5. Think about the clothing you wear. Is it necessary that you buy that jumper? The fashion industry is the second most polluting industry in the world after energy production. Each year 150 million trees are cut down to make materials such as viscose.
6. Today use no plastic. Use a re-usable water bottle, (if you can go to the shops) buy the grapes in a paper bag not a plastic one. Think about your choices and which one is going to harm our planet.
7. Congratulations! You have completed the Earth Week challenge. Contact me to receive you certificate.